Sunday 31 May 2009

What number was that bus?

The Bank Holiday was hot but our problems with the Land Rover meant that we were not able to enjoy it properly. It was a difficult week because we now have only one car so Jay must drive me to the station in the morning and pick me up in the evening. My car was due for an MOT so I booked it into a garage near to Canary Wharf and paid up-front - all rather inconvenient now Jay had to drive in for the test. Still, at least the cancelled Water Babies session had been rearranged and this time Harriet got to go under the water.

However, our spirits were rising towards the weekend. It was to be yet more good weather and Jay's sister Cathy and her two boys were coming to stay for the weekend. It would be my first time meeting them and their first time meeting Harriet.

Due to the lack of car I was planning to catch the bus home. However, I was too busy reading the paper to notice the bus properly and it only dawned on me that I had missed it when I looked at the number on the rear as it pulled away. Sheepishly I called home so I met Cathy for the first time as she turned in Stansted Abbots High Street, mounting the pavement as she went (she had lived in London and still drove like a Londoner she told me later, somewhat unnecessarily).

We had a perfect weekend. I joined the party late but it was in full swing and as temperatures rose we just became more relaxed and everyone, animal and human, was at ease. In addition to Cathy and the boys there was Chewie, the first dog I have ever known to make Billy look small. This horse crossed with Husky was a force of nature but very agreeable so once Scamper had informed him of the house rules (i.e. what she says goes) there was no trouble.

On Saturday we were treated to lunch at the Bull and in the evening I pulled out all my culinary skills and provided sausage and chips to keep us going through the drama of Britain's Got Talent.

I can't wait till they next come down, not least because I will have practised on the Playstation 3 and be able to give a better account of myself.

Next weekend we keep up the pace with our second visit to Blandford, this time to see Karen and Chris along with Sarah. We will be without the dogs as they are going to their favourite Essex Holiday Camp and it marks our last weekend without the new (older) Land Rover! The following week Jay will no doubt be driving around the congestion zone in his new 'bus' and I thankfully will not be lingering in bus shelters studying every word of the Metro.