Friday 3 September 2010

The View From Central Park

It's the Labor Day holiday on Monday so the office is in wind-down mode. Even our fearsome COO was in casual dress and so I sloped off to see some of the sights. Since I've never been to Central Park I decided to head uptown.

There is a little girl playing in front of me. She's a bit older than Harriet but not by much. She's running up and down the rocks in defiance of her exasperated mother. Every time she is coaxed down she runs away again. I doubt Jay would welcome the comparison with her (she's wearing a top that looks like a pub carpet and silver flip-flops) but a little bit of me is pretending that this is our family.

I hope we get to live in Manhattan. I'm not much fussed about living in Central London and the neighbours from hell notwithstanding I liked living 30 miles out in Hertfordshire. But New York is still too new and I want to be right in the thick of it.

Ah, the woman has triumphed and caught hold of the girl. After an almighty racket she's in her stroller and they're off.

This evening I will go out for a meal and try for a drink. I haven't been motivated to do much because it's not much fun on your own. The New York office is much less social than the London office and even that is nothing compared to Singapore.

Last night though so I have to make the effort. Tomorrow I get to see my family again - Harriet has learned to say Pops and though I have heard it on the phone I can't wait to hear it in person.