Sunday 22 February 2009

Home

There was a bit of drama at the airport when the bag I was carrying back weighed in at just over 30kg and the British Airways staff were reluctant to take it. When they finally agreed to take it their credit card machine would not work for taking the excess bag fee so yet more delays; in the meantime the queue behind me just grew and I can imagine the choice terms some of them were using.

After about half an hour I finally left the "Fast Bag Drop" counter and headed home.

I had hired a car at Heathrow and was excited when the assistant told me they didn't have any mondeos so I would be upgraded. So what did I get you ask - a convertible? a mercedes? a BMW? No they gave me a huge MPV the width of Arto, oh the glamour.

I went home and said hello to Mango and then went into work. It was good to catch up on everything. There was some good news including the fact that two people who were made redundant whom I liked have returned to firm and one of them in a much better job. After all the doom and gloom I'm so pleased for them.

My apologies to those of you, particularly those of you in the public sector, who were offended by my previous blog. I was just feeling a bit defensive about why I had to go back to work because people had kept asking whether I could hang on a few more days and I couldn't. I don't want to be back here believe me but I think it is for the best. There are of course many people in the public sector who are losing there jobs although sadly not any cabinet ministers yet.

The first two days were fine but the jet lag is really bad today. I'm writing this on Sunday at 11am and I am desperate to get to bed. Normally I would just play on the computer but we have another person coming to view the house in twenty minutes so I can't. Things might have picked up since this is the second person who has come in a week but I'm not hopeful. The expense of the surrogacy means that a realistic offer for the house is probably not enough for us at the moment.

Still no news from the US although at tomorrow's hospital appointment we should at least book the induction. I will probably go out next weekend for a few days and then once again depending on how long sorting out the immigration takes. It will be nice to see a bit more of California than the hotel room and the drainage canal and hopefully their winter storms will have subsided.

Time for another coffee.