Sunday 24 April 2011

Health and Safety

I have tried to write this blog a couple of times over the weekend but it always ends up as a bit of a political rant.  It's about healthcare - a touchy subject for both the UK and the US and one on which I could go on and on.

But that's not the really the point of this blog - here I just want to concentrate on the family's activities so I will restrict myself to that.  We visited the doctor on Good Friday having finally overcome the hurdles to getting insurance.

It sounds like a dull but necessary trip but was actually a really rewarding part of the day.  Our doctor's secretary let us know that the doctor likes to spend time getting to know his patients and so it proved to be.  He spent ages with Harriet and she was her usual adorable self.  A common trick she plays at the moment when we get into a subway car is to shout as loudly as she can "I'm shy!" but it is only really with a few people that she genuinely plays shy.  The doctor is a man and therefore gets her full attention straight away.

We know that she is happy and healthy but it is so rewarding to have that validated by a professional.  He took lots of measurements and while it confirmed what we knew it still felt good to have it from him: she is in the 90th percentile for height and 80th percentile for weight.  She chatted away to him and although he did detect 'an English accent' he seemed to be very pleased with her.

Then of course it came to us.  J at last gets some more painkillers pending an operation on his other arm and I was told that I was in good shape with the observation that I have a slow heart rate.  Nothing to worry about just 'interesting' apparently.This hopefully just reflects the amount of work I have done at the gym (yes Cathy, the gym, I do go!).

J does a great job with Harriet so there was no doubt in our minds but still, nice to have it certified by someone who should know,