Monday 16 July 2012

Sharks and Raptors

Gosh I feel exhausted, broken even. It's 9.30 and I can't go to bed yet because I have to take Pippin out. That's the part of the day I like the least because the bugs are out in force, so I have to spray myself with some foul smelling stuff just to survive. The entire place comes alive and I am especially paranoid about snakes - last night I knew that Pippin had found something but fortunately it turned out to be a giant frog. We are a long way from the nearest vet so I need to keep an eye on her.

Still, a good part of the day follows immediately when I can sleep. Did I mention already that I am tired?

Holidays will do that to you of course. There is no such thing as relax with a three year old. She's really into imagination games at the moment so from the moment she wakes we are pretending to cook, to drive, to shop or whatever it is. Breakfasts, indeed most meals, take an age. In the swimming pool she plans all sorts of elaborate games that you had better just go along with, or face the consequences.

The pool was crowded this morning but ok. In the afternoon, after the thunderstorm, we went to the beach and Harriet made friends with a couple of children: a three year old girl and four year old boy. They had a brilliant time running around together.

Harriet really did have a wonderful time. In no uncertain terms have we been told that we are going to the beach tomorrow for the whole day.

There were a few interesting sights on the beach. A couple of guys who were fishing caught a small shark. This is not as dramatic as it sounds. The water is very shallow for about fifty meters from the shore before it becomes suddenly deep. People wade out to the edge and fish - there are plenty of large fish there that you can actually see in the waves themselves and plenty more jumping out of the water. There is no risk from sharks in the shallow although there are plenty of small fish.

The other exciting thing was seeing a couple of F-22 Raptor fighters (I think) from the nearby Tyndall air force base. They move breathtakingly quickly and noisily.

10pm now so I can take Pip out and try to prepare for tomorrow. Night night.