Thursday 12 July 2012

So what's new?

Not much really. We went to the heated pool, twice, and went to the Piggly Wiggly for a few odds and ends. There was a truly torrential downpour while we were in the Piggly Wiggly and though it eased off to allow us to load the car we drove home into the storm. Fortunately people are used to driving in this so it was not the chaos we remembered from LA in the rain.

The only real novelty I can offer is that I have started a new book: Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath. I have started it before but not made it far, but it seems like an appropriate book to read in these times of calamity (it is set in the Great Depression).

The truth is that though we are having a fantastic, magical time we live in the same world as everyone else. I am conflicted when I post here about the fun we're having and especially when I post photographs. It's not that we get any hostile comments, indeed it's much more likely that those who disapprove simply ignore all our posts while being conspicuously active elsewhere. I am concerned too about personal matters, particularly work, as well as more global matters but let's leave it at that for now.

We've spoken to a few more people today and revealed a bit more about ourselves. "I knew from that accent y'all weren't from round here". We've even overheard a few attempts at a British accent (as in New York people seem to think the British say "Hello" repeatedly and with ever increasing pitch).

Hopefully, more of the same tomorrow on an auspicious Friday 13th.